Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Day of School


H and R started preschool this week. They were excited to go, but when they found out that I was not going with them, they got a little nervous.
Last week they received an invitation to George's 3rd Birthday Party, their school mascot. The party would be the first day of school. It was only an hour long, and the parents waited outside where we mingled and signed up for school activities.
The kids each got a balloon with treats and a tote bag. My kids love helium balloons. I told R to hold onto her candy bag tight so her balloon would not float away. As we were walking home her balloon came loose, but she did not notice. I told her her balloon had just gotten away and she was very sad, she started crying and said "I held it tight like you said and it floated away." (Or something like that.) This made me sad. She had done just like I said, but yet still her balloon was gone. I was contemplating going to the store right then to get her a new one because of how sad she was and how hard she tried to do what she was supposed to, yet the outcome was still not good. I know if this was a hard experience, I have a lot of disappointing experiences to look forward to. Sometimes we do everything we can, but things still do not go how we like them. Since we were still close to her school, we decided to go back and see if her teacher had any extras. Fortunately she did. We are excited about this school year. They have a great teacher and great kids in their class.

2 comments:

Melaina and Ben said...

Do their bags seriously have Nemo on them?? oh so jealous!!! hahaha

Stevens said...

How cute and fun!! Helium balloons have to got to be one of the most frustrating things for kids. This happened to a little girl at the park just a few weeks ago. Glad your teacher was prepared.