All of Bob's siblings, spouses and families were able to attend. (Including Bob's sister who is 38+ weeks pregnant.) It was fun to see his brother and family from Florida. It was also fun to see all of his aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends, but wish the circumstances were different.
The funeral services were very nice. All four of Grandpa's children spoke and each one did a great job. Bob was given the opportunity to dedicate the grave. I was very proud of how well he did.
Grandpa was an amazing man with an impressive background. He served in WW II in the Navy, and then in the Korean and Vietnam Wars in the Army. He loved his country and loved to serve his country. He was a very kind and giving man. His daughter spoke on how he owned a home on a dark road and always left his front porch light on. He was asked about it, and if it was for security reasons, but he answered no, it was just in case someone broke down on the dark road and needed help. This story was just one example of the kind of man he was. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to spend time with him. He always made me feel comfortable when I was around him. Even when Bob and I had only been married a short time, he always made me feel like I was an old friend and definitely part of the family.
Because of the service he provided for our country, he was honored at his funeral by the military.
They came to serve as his pallbearers, give him a gun salute, a bugler played "Taps", and folded and presented the American Flag. The ceremony was very impressive and touching.
Grandpa will always be missed and loved, but his memory will live on. I am grateful for the knowledge I have that we will see and be able to be with him again. I am also grateful for our recent trip to visit him and that my children were able to be with and get to know him. I am also grateful for Grandma and the many years she spent taking care of him. They are a great example of what a couple should be and are obviously very much in love. They were married for 63 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment