Tuesday, November 25, 2008

We're Going on an Airplane

The last couple of weeks I have been preparing our girls for our upcoming trip. I do not know if they were more excited about going to Disney World or going on an airplane.

As the trip approached I began to worry about what I was going to do with three kids three and under on an airplane for over five hours. I packed a backpack for each of the girls with coloring books, crayons, fingernail polish, toys, their computers (a magna doodle), a water coloring pad, and their binkies and blankets. (I was going to try to ween them of their binkies but I knew they would sleep so much better on the plane with them. It is going to be hard to get rid of them, especially since our doctor and dentist keep telling us they are okay to still have them at night and at nap time.) The girls backpacks are pretty big for them. R wanted to carry hers when we were getting on the plane. I heard several people behind us laughing and the little girl with the huge backpack.
Bob had been worrying for several weeks about getting all of our stuff with us on the plane. We had four bags to check (3 for clothes, 1 for food), five carry ons, 3 car seats and 1 stroller. He continually told me I was packing too much and that my bags exceeded the 5o pound weight limit. (The two bags in questions ended up being around 42 lbs, and 34 lbs. I had tons to spare. I could have brought that extra box of Capri suns.) Several people commented on how impressed they were on how little I packed for that long of trip and that many kids. Bob dropped me off to park the car and somehow I got all the bags checked with all our kids and all of our kids. I think this helped Bob realize that we probably were going to make it. The stroller made it nice because we could pile everything on it, except when going through security when we had to take take off everyone's shoes, take G out of the car seat, the car seat out of the stroller, collapse the stroller, take out all of the laptops and send everything through the x-rays.
Everything went pretty smoothly considering what could have gone wrong. I am glad we brought the car seats. I think all of the kids were more comfortable on the plane because they were used to their seats. The plane was not full, so I was able to buck G in his car seat on the plane.
We did not use even close to all of our things I brought for the girls to do, but we still have coming home. I think they only used their magna doodles and watched part of a Tinkerbell DVD. We had a short layover in Denver, but were able to stay on the plane. Bob sat on one row with the girls, and I sat behind them with G.

No comments: